Monday, December 03, 2007

Monday in Advent I: God in the Tunnel

I want to share with you an image from a sermon I heard yesterday by Bishop McKelvey.

Yes, I was in church, at Christ Church (Rochester). It was my first foray back to church and I wanted to try in a community where I could be semi-anonymous, and I was fairly sure they’d sing my favorite First Advent hymns. I didn’t know it was also the Bishop’s Visitation! It went very well although I was confirmed (no pun intended) in my decision not to be back presiding yet. I was very restless and not quite able to be present for even short stretches of time.

Bishop Jack preached the best sermon I’d ever heard from him, the parts that I heard. There was one image that especially struck me.

God is not only the light at the end of the tunnel. He is in the tunnel with us.

That’s what Emmanuel means, “God with us.”

Thanks be to God.

No comments: