Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thinking of The Ancestors Tonight

Tonight, feeling a sense of calm and real peace after today's Supreme Court decisions I am remembering those who have gone before, the Ancestors of this movement who did not live to see this day.  I am remembering one of my favorite Scripture passages, from Hebrews:

All of these died in faith without having received the promises, but from a distance they saw them and greeted them...of whom the world was not worthy.

The many I can name are among those who most have kept my hope alive over the years, because I saw them greet the promise even when I was too frustrated or angry to do so.  I think of all the young people who have killed themselves thinking they were not worthy of the world, when exactly the opposite was true.  May a few less do so because of today's decision.

There's so far to go, but it is inevitable.  That is why the angry voices today are very, very angry, and we should not expect them just to roll over and say "uncle."  Quite the opposite, I suspect the struggle has entered a new and very difficult phase.

Like our Ancestors, let us keep our eyes on the prize.

No comments: